OK
In progress indicator

What is the best acid fertiliser to use?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Luke

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi

I want to know what the best acid fertiliser to use is? I generally use miracle grow all over the garden, so should I carry on with this or should I use a specific acid fertiliser ?

Thanks

• Views: 711
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 2nd July 2013 19:33

Re: What is the best acid fertiliser to use?

Reply from Clockhouse Nursery

Luke. For acid loving plants you can still use Miracle Gro, but use their variant called "ericaceous plant food" or "Azalea, Camellia & Rhododendron plant feed", they come in various application styles, soluble powder, liquid or pellets. Miracle also make "Sulphate of Iron" which is usually powdered. Phostrogen make an ericaceous variant and a number of manufacturers provide "sequestered iron". Mulching which a nice layer of good quality ericaceous compost can also help.
So you have plenty of choices. Just choose something that best suits your requirements.
Some plants prefer acidic (ericaceous) soil types and some do not. Rhodo's, Azaleas, Camellias are the most common that you will know but there are many others including some conifers and herbaceous plants. It is always best to do some research into this before purchase. Most centres should have the soil requirements clearly stated on their tags, but some do not. Having acid loving plants in pots is an easy way of controlling the soil type, in borders there is no reason why you cannot feed appropriately within the local planting area although it is easier if you acid loving plants are in one area. Planting initially with as much ericaceous compost as possible around the roots.
Remember a simple rule, some plants must go in acid soils....most are not so fussy. For example we use a commercial form of ericaceous compost for almost all of our shrub potting.

• Posted: Wed. 3rd July 2013 09:27

Re: What is the best acid fertiliser to use?

Reply from Luke

Many thanks for your advice

• Posted: Wed. 3rd July 2013 16:49

Warning: Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/sessions) in Unknown on line 0